Monday, 2 December 2013

First FET - Finally!

I went to work on Monday, 2 Dec as usual, not knowing when the FET will take place. However I got a call last Sat that Dr Tan would be thawing and ET the 2 day 3 embryos, instead of culturing them to BL, which may not even happen. There is always a risk in embryos not surviving the lab environment. Mother nature, the womb, is always the best. He prefers to thaw and ET the 2 day 3 embryos and put them in straightaway.

There are 3 scenarios:

1. If both embbies make it, we will ET both
2. If one embby makes it and the other doesnt, this one embby will be cultured to BL and transferred with my existing BL
3. If both embbies do not make it, the 2 BLs will be thawed and transferred.

The call came when I was in my weekly meeting with boss and my colleague. I had alot of whatsapp messages, but I quickly searched to see if I got any missed calls. True enough I had 3 miss calls from KKH! They told me my 2 embbies have survived the thaw and that I have to do the ET rightaway. I got anxious and applied for my half day leave immediately. Took a cab and rushed down to KKH.

Waited patiently with hub as I drank cups and cups of water to fill up my bladder. I got called in at about 1.45pm to get ready for ET. Dr Tan came in and told me one embby is partial surviving. Oh gosh my heart almost sank. However he assured that it still passed the critieria of an embby transfer. This time, the ET wasnt as intimidating and painful as my previous 2 IUIs and fresh ET. He chatted with me together with Missy Nora about TCM and TSB. Interesting.

It was all done and over in 5 min. As usual, he wished me all the best. However I felt like telling him, I hope I do not need to see him again here (for another round of procedure I mean)

While I was resting embryologist Chong came and debriefed me abit. I asked alot of questions which I felt I needed to know.

Me: What are the grades of the 2 embbies transferred?

Chong: One is Grade 4, 8 cell which was the same after thawing, and the other Grade 2 4 cell. It was originally Grade 3, 7 cells but 3 cells stopped surviving. (This was what Dr Tan meant by partial surviving) However as long as there are more than 50%, the ET can still be done. (Meaning my embby barely made it.)

Me: Will the Grade 2 embby survive inside the womb?

Chong: Maybe, because these 2 embbies are not specialised yet, they are only Day 3. So the good cells might still have a chance to grow and multiply and compensate for the bad cells that have died.

I felt abit more relieved hearing this rather than 'partial survived'. That's a heavy word. He further explained to me on how to see the embbies clearly. The Grade 4 one is more like 3D, which is good. The one below, Grade 2, had some flattened cells which are not good and is darker in colour.

Again I dont want to put too much high hopes. I will just be normal and try to manage my expectations.

Went home, took a 2 hour nap and continued with my insert.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Missy Ah Girl!!!! So happy to read your post that your FET has started!!! Fingers and toes crossed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes thank you!! Ive waited so long for this.

    I Hope you are doing fine also and preparing for your next cycle?

    ReplyDelete